At Lumley Junior School, we believe that all pupils should have access to a wide range of texts and genres to develop their vocabulary, language comprehension and love of reading. Pupils are familiar with and enjoy listening to a wide range of stories, poems, rhymes and non-fiction texts at Lumley Juniors. We promote a love of reading through our extensive library, author visits and regular book fairs.
Reading is taught in a variety of ways including:
- Phonic sessions (where necessary) using the Read Write Inc phonics scheme
- Individual reading with the class teacher
- Reading skills across the curriculum
- Guided reading sessions
- Reading during English lessons
- Whole class novels
- Online reading texts and audio books.
- Autumn – Stone Age Boy / How to Wash a Woolly Mammoth
- Spring – The Iron Man
- Summer – James and the Giant Peach
- Autumn – The Firework-Maker’s Daughter
- Spring – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- Autumn – The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
- Spring – Wonder
- Summer – Mr William Shakespeare’s Plays
- Autumn – Private Peaceful
- Spring – Clockwork
- Summer – The Nowhere Emporium
The reading schemes that we follow at Lumley Juniors are Read Write Inc and Oxford Reading Tree. Each pupil has a Lexia account which provides children of all abilities with a personalised approach to learning in the five areas of reading instruction.
The Read Write Inc programme includes a systematic and dynamic whole-school approach to teaching phonics. Many pupils in school follow this phonics programme which supports their individual reading level.
As part of the scheme, we use the Read Write Inc reading books that coincide with the sounds taught in school. Teachers carefully choose and send home a corresponding Read Write Inc book-bag book that is a phonetically decodable reading book, containing sounds the children have been taught. The book-bag books also contain useful questions for parents when discussing the story at home.
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.